Tuesday, September 1, 2009

transportation

Ah, the many and varied modes of transportation we see every day in China...while I'm mostly walking and riding in taxis, the rest of the population is finding lots of ways to get around. In the three weeks that we've been here, I've already grown immune to sights that made me shiver the first few times I saw them. Take, for example, this little girl riding on the motorcycle. This is an everyday observance for us and actually a bit rare in that there are only two people on the bike, not more! I won't even consider getting on a motorbike of any kind myself, let alone allow my children to ride (and without helmets!).
Upon closer inspection, the little girl has a death grip on the flimsy little bars that hold the mirrors--not so sure this would do her much good in a collision. The guy in the background with a proper helmet is quite a rare site!
This is a more typical use of a motorcycle (or motorized bikes, as those are very popular too). The more, the merrier, I guess, but notice that no one bothers to hold on except for the driver and they sometimes don't either!
This curious photo (cut off a little by the edge of the car window) is what happens when you are peddling along on your bike on a very hot day and you catch site of a friend on a swifter-moving motorcycle. Not wanting to continue your own sweaty pursuit, you jump on the gas-powered machine in your straw hat, leave the helmet dangling from the handlebar and roll your bike alongside, all at 50 miles per hour! At least that's my take on the situation...perhaps he had a flat tire or something!
This is not a perfect photo, as it was also snapped from the back seat of a minivan, but I think it captures the umbrella built for two I mentioned earlier. Seems to be used for a sunshade as well as rain shield by some. I believe this is a motorcycle taxi, though that's just a guess. I saw these fellows while traveling along a highway--notice the driver's hair blowing in the wind. That's one sturdy umbrella!
Here's my favorite of the bunch, taken along the path to the two grocery stores I sometimes use. This is a motorized bike--they are all over the place, can be pedaled or helped along by electrical charge (I think!) and are very quiet. They've snuck up on me and made me jump many times! They are but one of the many wheeled vehicles to dodge each day. This guy was taking a break and watching the cars and buses go past from his spot along the buffer zone between the sidewalk and the road. It's quite a nice walk, with the lake along the left side and the garden-bordered road on the right. At the end of the block I have to navigate several large intersections, but they have traffic lights with walking count-downs that actually leave enough time to cross the road before traffic starts zooming past again.
I have yet to snap a good picture of a lady riding side-saddle on any one of the aformentioned contraptions, though we see this every day. Such balance! Will post one as soon as I can; it's a site to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment