Friday, February 19, 2010

What's all that noise?

A few weeks back Amanda said she didn't feel well and needed to stay home from school...I wasn't so sure that she was actually sick, but decided not to chance it. Her room is located in the back side of our apartment or, as we call it these days, the cold side. I'm directionally impaired, but I think it is the north side and doesn't get any sunshine. She and I were huddled under her covers, watching Lost on my laptop when I heard a loud voice and music. When I finally looked out her window, I saw that there was some type of presentation going on in a seemingly empty lot that is next to a construction site behind our place. A lady was yelling into a microphone (that's the way it's done here) at a group of people seated under a temporary shelter. This is the view, with just a little bit of zoom, from the window.
A closer view of the action--of course I couldn't understand any of the yelling, but we figured that it was the ground-breaking ceremony for yet another apartment building. I could not tell how those giant gold lantern/ball things were suspended so high in the air, but I guess they were attached to the construction cranes.
Next came loud music and a dance extravaganza! We watched as these big puppet guys danced around and put on a show (I found out later that it was probably the traditional lion dance--will post pictures of the one performed at the kids' school for Chinese New Year soon).
It was hard to get a good picture, but several times there were loud explosions and tons of gold confetti was shot into the air. Here is the aftermath!
We went back to watching our show. When I looked again about an hour later, this is what I saw. Seems that the ceremonial stuff had to be taken back to the rental place right away! We will continue to monitor the progress of this building from our 15th floor vantage point, but we hope the loud banging at all hours of the day and night that usually means construction around here doesn't disturb our peace too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment