Tuesday, August 25, 2009

city views

The view from our balcony at night; this is straight across the u-shaped complex, looking over the building that runs parallel to ours at Yuang dong Lake (I've seen many spellings for the lake's name, it's pronounced something like this). Either that building is slightly shorter than ours or we're on a slight slope which helps with our view. The pinkish building to the left (Rosewood Plaza, I think it's called) is just too tall and sort of wrecks our view! The girls' bus stop is right in front of the pink building.
We're very thankful for the shade-giving trees along our street! I saw this lady and many more like her on one of my early shopping expeditions. Notice how much she is carrying, in 90+ degree heat, without batting an eye. She has a yolk-type thing across her shoulder and one of the baskets is full of some sort of fuzzy, cherry-sized fruit that she is selling. The day we went for our health exam we stopped into Gene's office first and Wendy had a big bag of the fruit. We had to maintain empty stomachs so we did not try any, but were able to amuse the whole HR staff when Tracy asked me how to say the name of the fruit in English. Their jaws dropped when I said I'd never seen such a fruit in all my life! It's apparently very popular all over China. Notice also the "sunbrella" she is carrying. Very dexterous, these folks, and with good reason. I purchased my own umbrella, dual purpose for shielding both sun and rain with a silver inside lining to deflect the rays, on a shopping trip last week. I'll have to admit that my carrying hand starts to go numb after a while but the shade really helps me stay a bit more comfortable. We initially thought that all the ladies carried them just to keep from getting darker skin (so opposite from most women I know!) but have come to appreciate their many uses. We are waiting for the next rainfall so we can get pictures of the motorcycle-cabs with their double-long umbrellas that protect both the driver and the back-seat passenger! I'm thinking both hands on the handles is a better way to go, but there's something to be said for staying relatively dry too.
This is the view off the right side of the balcony, on a very hazy day. I took another one just like it for today's sunny view (but I'm awful at all this downloading business, so it'll have to wait for Gene to get home!). You can see the closer lake and then another body of water. I think they join up in several spots but I'm not sure if they have separate names or not. We are pleased with our neighborhood as it's on the quite side and it's easy to get cabs but it is not terribly close to grocery shopping. I'll fill you in on my many shopping adventures soon!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are all adjusting nicely. I think I'd be melting in 90 degrees and high humidity. Glad that you are there and not me!

    Love the pictures too. Keep it all coming!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete