Thursday, August 27, 2009

Funny, but still better than my Mandarin!

This is in no way meant to mock or make fun of anyone, I just found the following package comments to be humorous and thought I'd share them. Some people call these types of translations "Chinglish," which reminds me of my hopeless Spanglish when we visit our friends in Mexico! I'm sure this is about how I sound and why I get such funny looks when I try to communicate when we're down there. Here's the cute one, on a purse-sized package of tissues: "HAPPY TIME I am you friend. Best wish for you. Friends are the best blessing of all. They give me sunny smiles." And for the odd, found on what we thought were dish-cleaning scrubs since the front of the package says "housewares," the back reads: "Clean the Fouls Deeply. The product can remove skin patches quickly, promote the metabolism of the skin and maintain healthy skin. Cleaning supplies skin. Bathing with liquid soap and use of products to large bubble, so that the skin clean, smooth. Save dry after use. The use of dried preserved, and the repeated use of." The part about the "fouls" is our favorite. Apparently the brand name is "Happy Life CEO." This thing is pretty much a bath poof (I guess that's what they're called--not even sure in English!) but seems to be working just as well to get the fouls off our dishes! I'm eternally grateful for the food packages that list ingredients in English, even if the word choice and grammar aren't always perfect, so I'll just leave those alone lest karma decides to get me back!

No comments:

Post a Comment